Monday, April 6, 2009

How do you explain...

How do you explain the death of another child to your children? Over the past week there has been a series of events unfolding in my town. A little girl vanished...into thin air! Literally, she was on surveillance camera one minute and gone the next. Without any clues as to where she may have gone. For over a week the town I live in has come together to look for her. People who do not even know this child have put countless hours into the search for her.

She was a student in another school in our district, her disappearance has been the topic of the playground discussion. "Where is she?" my 9 year old asked me. "I don't know, but I hope they find her soon". This brings us to today's events. A suitcase was discovered on the outskirts of town, in an irrigation pond. A 9 PM press conference revealed the worst case scenario. Her poor lifeless body was thoughtlessly stuffed inside. How do I explain this to my children, they have heard about what happened, they will ask in depth about how she died and who did this to her. I can only pray for the guidance to give them the answers they need.

Here I sit holding my sweet little 3 year old asleep on my lap, feeling heartache for the mother who will never hold her child again. I hope they figure out what happened so her parents can find peace with her death.

1 comment:

Jen said...

my heart just breaks for the family. I hope justice comes quickly.