Sunday, April 12, 2009

the ER my second home

Well it feels like it! I am so blessed to have a little girl who gets sick...a lot! I also have a little boy who has 2 left feet (literally)! So I better post my experiences as to "warn" parents of the perils of being an oblivious parent.

It all started on a crisp fall morning, my 9 year old was sitting in a bar stool balancing it on 2 legs. Now we have told this child multiple times not to do that, and this morning was no exception. Seeing that he is 9 and apparently knows more than me he did it anyway. Well he fell and hurt his foot. We figured it was just bruised and he would be up running around again soon. He screamed he wailed and thrashed around a bit in pain, but sure enough it went away and he was back to "normal". So we thought. I noticed the next day that he was limping, he said it still kind of hurt. Two more days passed and he was still limping, he swore to me that he was fine. He limped around all at basketball practice. Fast forward to Saturday, the day of his last basketball game, he was still limping but said he was fine. We let him finish his game and when he got home I insisted on taking a closer look at his foot. It was swollen to twice its size! There was even bruising on top of his foot. He would cringe every time I would touch it. By the time we noticed the injury it was too late to go to urgent care, I didn't want to pay the deductible for the ER visit (seeing as it probably wasn't life threatening). So we waited until Sunday to take him in.

On Sunday I decided that he maybe able to wait until Monday to see his regular dr. We happen to have a friend who is a Pediatrician he took a quick look and said he could wait but to take him in on monday. By now the bruising had spread to the bottom of his foot and it was still swollen. I got him into the Dr first thing Monday morning, she quickly got us a referral to a podiatrist. I went directly from the pediatrician to the podiatrist, with 3 kids in tow...not a fun experience for me! The Podiatrist took a look and assesed that he needed xrays and proceeded to order a boot for his foot. By this time I started to feel pretty bad that he really was not faking the injury.

I pawned two of my kids off to a super great friend (who let me do it at the last minute) and took the oldest to the hospital for xrays. I was SHOCKED at what I saw. His foot was not just sprained it was completely BROKEN!!! I felt horrible for making him walk, run and play basketball on it for a WHOLE week before figuring out the problem! Funny enough, he didn't act like it hurt him. Even the podiatrist was amazed at his tolerance for pain (this is quite unusual for a kid who cries over papercuts). He was sentenced to 4 weeks in a boot, thus prohibiting him from his usual jumping, riding and running activities. I'd like to say the boot slowed him down, but it didn't. It was quite the site to see him riding down the street on his scooter in his boot. I guess injuries really can't slow a determined child down!

Can you see in the picture where the broken bone is? Look closely!

1 comment:

Nate said...

yes, I can see where it is broken. I hate hospitals! We should just lock our kids up and then things like this would never happen! steph